Cultivating and developing your approach on a personal level...
1. We all tell ourselves a story that allows us to be the person we are. This is true when you sell or make appointments on the phone. Be careful how you follow the script in your head. If you expect success it will come and if you expect failure you will normally fail. Don't start work without a very good story in your head. Develop the winner’s mentality.
2. Perseverance in sales will beat ability and talent every time. Persevering people are the ones who never give up. It's the same with telephone sales. Those that make the high numbers of calls and persevere with perfecting their script will always be more successful than those who think ability and talent mean business will come to them easily.
3. Find the best person in your team and make it your business to be close to them. Most successful people do not mind sharing their expertise with others, particularly new people. Be polite, do not be a pest, but do soak up the story that person is telling themselves and their potential customers. It will work out very well indeed if you are a good listener.
4. A deal is never a deal until the money is in the bank. The old saying of not counting your chickens before they hatch is true in telesales. Keep doing your job, keep tying up loose ends right to the end. Never assume anything. Get order numbers, written confirmation, recordings of all transactions. Stay on the case until the job is completely nailed down.
5. Record your calls. Hopefully your company has a call recording system and you should listen to yourself, particularly on tricky calls. Work out where you should have paused and shut up. Work out where it went wrong and learn from this. It works better than most systems I know for best practice in telesales. Simple: Listen and learn from yourself.
6. (Your bonus tip for reading this far). Always, always, always be courteous to people. No matter how grumpy they are, be courteous in telesales and appointment making. You will stay in sales much longer and much more successfully if you just follow this one rule in every call you make. Be courteous, be honest and never try to sneak round people.